Auditeurs:
Meilleurs auditeurs :
play_arrowRADIO DROMAGE

PORT-AU-PRINCE — The United States offered a reward of up to $1 million for information leading to the arrest of Johnson “Izo” André, leader of the Port-au-Prince Village de Dieu-based 5 Segond gang, linking him to the 2023 kidnapping of a U.S. citizen — an announcement that quickly sparked criticism online.
In a notice issued Feb. 18 through the State Department’s Rewards for Justice program, authorities accused André and his group of kidnapping a U.S. citizen in Port-au-Prince on March 18, 2023. The victim was later freed after a ransom was paid.
U.S. authorities said André is responsible for kidnappings, killings and other violent crimes that have deepened Haiti’s security crisis and caused widespread suffering among families forced to pay ransom for loved ones.
“If you have information on Johnson ‘Izo’ André or his associates, please share it with us,” the State Department said. “Your information will be kept confidential and could make you eligible for relocation or a reward.”
In December 2023, André was sanctioned by the U.S. Department of the Treasury under Executive Order 13818 for alleged human rights abuses. The designation freezes any property or interests in property under U.S. jurisdiction.
In 2024, U.S. prosecutors filed a criminal complaint charging André with hostage-taking and conspiracy to commit hostage-taking.
He joins other Haitian gang leaders targeted by U.S. reward offers, including Jimmy “Barbecue” Chérizier, Wilson “Lanmò San Jou” Joseph and Vitel’homme Innocent — figures associated with the Viv Ansanm coalition that controls large swathes of Port-au-Prince.
The reward announcement comes amid renewed warnings about kidnappings.
In a Feb. 18 security alert, the State Department said ransom kidnappings are increasing in Port-au-Prince, particularly in Delmas, and advised residents to limit nonessential travel and avoid driving alone. The alert warned that kidnappers have at times posed as police officers.
“If you have information on Johnson ‘Izo’ André or his associates, please share it with us. Your information will be kept confidential and could make you eligible for relocation or a reward.”
U.S. Department of State’s Diplomatic Security Service
According to the latest report from the United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti (BINUH), at least 647 kidnappings were documented over the past year in the Artibonite department, the Port-au-Prince metropolitan area and the Centre department.
The report estimates that gang violence has killed roughly 10,000 people in 2025, displaced more than 1.4 million residents, and affected nearly 6 million through worsening food insecurity and humanitarian needs. Despite repeated police operations, armed groups have continued attacks and escalated kidnappings.
The expansion of armed gangs has had severe consequences, U.S. Chargé d’Affaires Henry Wooster told a Senate panel last week, estimating that Haiti has more than 12,000 active gang members, including about 3,000 who are heavily armed and experienced. Wooster reaffirmed U.S. support for restoring security in Haiti and for a coordinated approach to managing migration.
Many Haitian Facebook users questioned why a bounty was needed if U.S. authorities had previously captured high-profile international figures. Several commenters referenced past U.S. actions abroad, arguing that similar efforts could be deployed in Haiti.
“Capturing Nicolás Maduro [Venezuelan president] was more difficult, but you did it,” Facebook user Patricia Justin wrote. “But what’s happening now? Your diplomatic vehicles are used to transport gang leaders to meetings at the American embassy in Tabarre. We’ere not fools.”
Others suggested authorities already know André’s location in the Village de Dieu neighborhood and accused the United States of ridiculing the Haitian public.
“You know where he is — if you want to capture him, do what you did with Maduro. These statements are useless,” wrote Facebook user Bendy Hilaire, reflecting frustration with the U.S. announcement. Another commenter, Louisia Sérondier, added: “One day, Haiti will be free from the grip of the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince. Keep treating us like a joke. Keep distracting us.”
A user, reacting under the “ShoTop Bro” profile, asked: “Why not use the million dollars to come arrest him directly?”
Some posts alleged foreign complicity in Haiti’s arms trafficking — claims for which no evidence was provided — while others expressed broader frustration with both Haitian and international authorities over the persistence of gang control.
A few commenters claimed André is no longer in Haiti, while others —like Theriel Thelus—sarcastically offered directions to his alleged location. None of those claims have been independently verified.
The online reactions reflect deep public mistrust at a time when many Haitians say they are exhausted by kidnappings and ransom demands that have bankrupted families and forced thousands from their homes.
Whether the reward will lead to an arrest remains unclear. For residents living under gang control, the need is urgent: an end to kidnappings and a return to basic safety.
The post US offers $1M reward for Haitian gang leader Johnson “Izo” André appeared first on The Haitian Times.
Écrit par: Viewcom04

For every Show page the timetable is auomatically generated from the schedule, and you can set automatic carousels of Podcasts, Articles and Charts by simply choosing a category. Curabitur id lacus felis. Sed justo mauris, auctor eget tellus nec, pellentesque varius mauris. Sed eu congue nulla, et tincidunt justo. Aliquam semper faucibus odio id varius. Suspendisse varius laoreet sodales.
close1
play_arrowK-Dans
2
play_arrowDjakout #1
3
play_arrowHarmonik